The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion found that receiving preventive health care can reduce the risk for diseases, disabilities and death. However, millions of people do not get the recommended preventive health care services for various reasons. One of the reasons may be the lack of awareness about important recommended preventive services for oneself or for their family member(s).
The National Institutes of Health advises everyone to visit their health care provider from time to time even if you are healthy and feel fine! These visits are important because they can help you avoid health problems in the future, and you will be proactively managing your health. It is like taking your vehicle for a tune up every year!
Here are the many benefits of preventive care:
• Increased Lifespan. Don’t you want to live a healthy and long life?
• Pay Less Over Time. Preventive health care can save you money!
• Prevent Infections. Appropriate vaccinations can keep you from getting sick!
• Live an Active Life. Don’t you want to have a good quality life and be able to live life to the fullest?
• Doctor Recommendations.
• Control a Problem. It is easier to control a problem with early identification using screenings and with health education.
In this session, I will do the following:
• Review the health screening guidelines for you or a family member(s). All you have to do is send me the age and sex of the person before our meeting, so I can be prepared to discuss the appropriate guidelines with you.
• You will learn about what specific screenings will be done at the visit based on your age and sex (blood pressure screening, cholesterol screening, blood sugar screenings, etc) and why is it important to screen for medical issues.
• You will learn how often you should get the screenings done, and the appropriate times to see your health care provider for preventive care.
After this session, you will obtain a greater awareness of the importance of preventive health care. More importantly, you will be knowledgeable what to expect during your visit with your health care provider and be more prepared to ask personal health care questions to get the most out of your preventive health care visit!
See Yourself in Good Health!